Soups On!!! This wholesome sweet-and-sour soup combines beef, sweet paprika and cabbage—ingredients that star in a number of German dishes. It is particularly nice served with crusty rye bread. It's filling and tasty --- we love it ♥.
· 1 tablespoon canola oil
· 1 pound lean (90% or leaner) ground beef
· 1 teaspoon dried thyme
· 2 1/2 cups frozen bell pepper and onion mix, thawed, chopped
· 1 medium Golden Delicious apple, unpeeled, diced
· 6 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
· 1 15-ounce can crushed or diced tomatoes
· 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
· 1 tablespoon paprika, preferably Hungarian sweet
· 3 cups coarsely chopped Savoy, or green cabbage
· 1-2 tablespoons cider vinegar
· Freshly ground pepper to taste
Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add beef and thyme and cook, stirring and breaking up the beef with a spoon, until it is mostly browned. Stir in pepper-onion mix and apple; cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes more.
Stir in broth, tomatoes, honey and paprika and boil gently. Cook for 10 minutes to blend the flavors. Stir in cabbage and cook just until barely tender, 4 minutes more. Season with vinegar and pepper to taste.
Happy Cooking ☺