Made with lean ground beef, prosciutto, tomatoes and plenty of Italian herbs and spices, this isn't your everyday meat sauce.
There is nothing subtle about this sauce. It’s all about the deep, savoury flavours. The only way to make it more intense would be to add hot sauce or hot peppers.
· 1 1⁄4 pounds lean ground beef
· 2 tablespoons olive oil
· 1⁄2 pound prosciutto, finely chopped
· 4 cloves garlic, minced
· 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, with juices
· 1 medium yellow onion, diced
· 3 tablespoons tomato paste
· 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
· 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
· 1 teaspoon dried basil
· 16 ounces pasta spirals
· 1 teaspoon dried oregano
· 1⁄2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra to serve
· Salt and black pepper, to taste
1. In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the olive oil, garlic, onion, paprika, basil, and oregano. Sauté until the onion is tender and the seasonings are fragrant, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the ground beef and prosciutto. Sauté, breaking up clumps of beef, until the beef is cooked through, about 8 minutes. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, and vinegar, and then simmer on low.
3. Meanwhile, heat a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions. Drain and return it to the pot
4. Stir the Parmesan into the sauce, then season with salt and pepper. Serve the pasta topped with the sauce and additional Parmesan.
Happy Cooking ☺