These oval meatballs on a stick are both totally fun for kids to eat and incredibly delicious. Don't assume that only children will go nuts for these, because once adults get a taste, they'll want a share, too. If you like, serve with a dish of warm marinara or pizza sauce for dipping.
· 1 pound ground beef
· Olive oil
· 12 bamboo skewers
· 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
· 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
· 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
· 1 egg, lightly beaten
· 1/4 cup milk
· 6 mozzarella string-cheese sticks
· 1 small yellow onion
1. Soak the skewers in lukewarm water for 20 minutes while you prepare the meatballs, and preheat a gas grill (or burn down the coals) to medium heat.
2. Put the breadcrumbs, egg and milk in a bowl and stir. Let soak for 5 minutes to allow breadcrumbs to absorb the liquid, and then add beef, onion, Parmesan and Italian seasoning. Mix well to combine. (This job is easier when you use your clean hands.
3. Cut each cheese stick in half so that you have 12 short pieces. Carefully thread each piece lengthwise onto the tip of a skewer, pushing it down gently so that you have about 1 inch of skewer showing at the tip. (Don’t push too hard or fast or the cheese sticks might break into strings.)
4. Carefully mold 2 to 3 tablespoons of the meat mixture around piece of cheese to make an elongated, oval meatball. Try to cover the cheese completely, but don’t make your meatball too thick.
5. Grill over direct heat for about 10 minutes, turning several times to prevent charring.
Happy Cooking ☺