This dish is similar to American chop suey, one of my favorite comfort foods. The chili-style tomatoes and Cajun seasoning give it an extra burst of flavor. If you don't have the cavatappi pasta, macaroni, mini penne, or similar pasta will work just as well.
· 6 ounces elbows, mini penne, or cavatappi pasta, about 1 1/2 to 2 cups dry
· 1 pound ground beef
· 1 cup chopped onion
· 3 cloves garlic, minced
· 1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
· 1 can (14.5 ounces) zesty chili-style tomatoes, diced
· 1 can (14.5 ounces) tomatoes, diced
· 1 teaspoon seasoned salt blend or Cajun seasoning blend
· 1/4 teaspoon dried leaf oregano or Italian seasoning blend
· 3 tablespoons tomato paste
· 2 tablespoons water
1. Cook pasta in boiling water following package directions. Rinse and drain; set aside.
2. In a skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef with chopped onion. Add garlic and bell pepper; cook, stirring, until green pepper, is just tender. Add chili-style tomatoes and diced tomatoes, along with the seasonings, tomato paste, and water. Bring to a simmer and cook for 1 minute. Stir in pasta and heat through.
Happy Cooking ☺