To me a good Cowboy Burger should have a smoky element and a spicy element - Worcestershire, BBQ & steak sauce, just a dash of Liquid Smoke, and a bit of cayenne and chipotle chili powder. Top it with thick cut peppered bacon. That combination gives a nice, spicy kick, without setting your mouth on fire.
· 2 pounds of ground beef
· Thick cut, peppered bacon, at least one slice per burger, cooked crisp
· 1 tablespoon of light brown sugar
· 1 tablespoon of steak sauce (like A1)
· 1 tablespoon of BBQ sauce
· 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
· Splash of Liquid Smoke, optional
· 1 teaspoon of chipotle chili powder
· 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
· 1-2 large Vidalia or yellow onion, cut into 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices with rings intact, 1 slice per burger
· Drizzle of olive oil
· Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper
· Shredded cheddar cheese
· Additional Garnishes: Mayonnaise, BBQ sauce, lettuce, sliced tomatoes, Fire 'n Ice pickles or pickled jalapenos.
1. Cook the bacon to crisp and set aside. Place the ground beef in a large bowl. In a separate small bowl, combine the brown sugar, steak, bbq and Worcestershire sauces, and Liquid Smoke, with the chili powder and cayenne. Add to the ground beef and use a fork to toss.
2. Form into 6 to 8 large, tight balls and place onto a foiled lined baking sheet. Gently flatten and shape the patties and create a very slight thumb indention into them. This will help the burgers from puffing up and becoming rounded instead of flat. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Brush both sides of the onion slices with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper; set aside.
3. When ready to cook, grill the burgers on well-oiled grates, indented side up first, over direct and high heat, for about 3 minutes, or until seared and browned. Turn and continue cooking until done, another 2 to 4 minutes, or until done to desired level. Do not press down on the burgers! Meanwhile also add the onions to the grate and cook until lightly browned, turn and cook other side. Toast buns on the top rack of the grill.
4. Place a thin layer of mayonnaise on both sides of the bun. Add the burger and top with BBQ sauce and pickles or jalapenos. Sprinkle with a pinch of shredded cheddar and top with grilled onion, tomato, bacon and lettuce. Serve immediately.
Happy Cooking ☺