OMG, is this ever good. All the goodness of a juicy bacon cheeseburger in salad form. But this is…different. It’s awesomely, crazy good. You’ll want to eat the meat mixture alone right out of the skillet. You’ll wonder where it’s been all your life.
· 2 pounds Ground Beef
· 1/4 pound bacon (cooked the way you like it)
· 1/3 cup Ketchup
· 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
· 2 Tablespoons Barbecue Sauce
· 4 whole Hamburger Buns
· 1 stick Butter
· 2 heads Romaine Lettuce, Torn
· 1 cup Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
· 4 whole Roma Tomatoes, Diced
· 8 whole Dill Pickle Spears, Cubed
· 1 whole Red Onion, Sliced
1. Brown meat in a large skillet over medium heat. Then remove it from the heat and drain off the fat. Add ketchup, mustard, cooked bacon and barbecue sauce to the meat and stir to combine. Taste and add more of whatever you think it needs. Keep warm.
2. Cut hamburger buns into 1-inch cubes. Melt 1/4 stick of butter in a separate skillet over low heat, then add the bread cubes and toss to coat. Toast the croutons in the skillet over low heat for about 10 -12 minutes, adding 1/4 stick of butter every couple of minutes until you've used the whole stick. (This will ensure all the croutons soak up the butter and toast nicely.)
3. To assemble each salad, pile torn lettuce on a plate. Pile on a good quantity of the meat mixture, then top with plenty of grated cheddar. Add diced tomato, chunks of pickles and slices of red onion over the top. Then sprinkle warm croutons all around the plate.