This is an excellent recipe for meatballs and gravy. The meatballs are light and flavorful with red onion and allspice. They are browned in a bit of virgin olive oil and cooked in beef stock and red wine. A must try!
· 2 pounds ground beef
· 1 cup bread crumbs
· 1 medium red onion, finely diced
· 1/4 cup curly leaf parsley leaves, chopped
· 4 garlic cloves, diced
· 1 tablespoon cornstarch
· 1 cup heavy cream
· 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
· 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
· 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground white pepper
· 2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
· 2 teaspoons good-quality Balsamic Vinegar
· 3 tablespoons Virgin Olive oil
· 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
· 4 cups Beef Stock
· 2 cups good quality full-bodied red wine (optional)
· Coarse sea salt and freshly-ground pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 325°
2. In a large bowl, place the ground beef, bread crumbs, onion, parsley, garlic, cornstarch, cream, eggs, allspice, white pepper, salt, and balsamic vinegar. Mix together all ingredients. Shape the meat mixture into walnut-size balls.
3. In a large frying pan or skillet, heat oil. Brown meatballs well on all sides and transfer to plate lined with paper towels. Then place meat balls into a roasting pan.
4. Add flour to skillet, stir and scrape up some of the browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Add the beef stock, wine, salt, and pepper. Cook and stir, scrapping up the rest of the browned bits until gravy simmers and begins to thicken. Pour the wine sauce over the uncooked meatballs, cover with a lid, and bake 1 1/2 hours.
5. Remove from oven and serve in soup bowls over mashed potatoes, or your favorite tube-type pasta, or noodles.