BACON & BEEF MEATLOAF
Seasoned stock keeps this meatloaf juicy and flavorful. A revised ketchup delivers just the right amount of tang, spice, and sweetness. And the bacon? We think it speaks for itself.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, grated on large holes of a box grater
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- ¾ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¾ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 large eggs
- ⅔ cup fine breadcrumbs
- ½ cup finely grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef chuck (15% fat)
- 6 thin strips bacon
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil, then parchment paper.
- Heat oil over medium in a small skillet. Cook onion and garlic, stirring occasionally, until very soft, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, bring ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar, and cayenne to a boil in a small saucepan, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly reduced and syrupy, about 5 minutes. Transfer 2 tablespoons ketchup mixture to a blender; add broth and parsley and blend until smooth. Set remaining ketchup mixture aside.
- Add broth mixture, eggs, breadcrumbs, Parmesan, salt, and pepper to onion and garlic; mix to combine. Add beef and mix well with your hands to combine. Transfer meatloaf mixture to prepared pan and form into a long log (about 12"x5"), smoothing surface. Spread reserved ketchup mixture over top and drape bacon in a crisscross pattern over loaf, tucking underneath. Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 165° and bacon is crisp, 70–80 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before slicing.